St. Procopius College Women's Auxiliary Records
1 linear foot of documents and scrapbooks
- 1957-01-01 - 1971-01-01
- St. Procopius College Women's Auxiliary (Organization)
1 Linear Feet
Biographical / Historical
The Women's Auxiliary of St. Procopius College was a campus-based service organization run by the mothers of students at St. Procopius. Like the St. Procopius Mothers and Friends Club (an organization similar in scope but based in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood) and Procopians Forward (also known as the St. Procopius Dad's Club), the Women's Auxiliary worked to involve students and their parents with campus life through social activities, outreach, and fundraisers. The organization's first meeting was held in the refectory at St. Odillo's Church in Berwyn, Ill. in 1957. Initially, the scope of the Women's Auxiliary was to serve as a developmental organization with the task of raising funds to build a library on the campus of St. Procopius. These funds were to be obtained through social events held for the benefit of the college's campaign. Once funds had been secured and construction begun on the new library (Lownik Library, opened in 1964), the Women's Auxiliary became more of a public relations vehicle for the college. This continued with moderate success until 1971, when the Women's Auxiliary board decided to disband in favor of creating a Standing Committee which would be available to conduct Women's Auxiliary business if necessary without the need of monthly meetings.
The original collection had no inherent order. The processing archivist imposed series based on type and content of materials.