This collection consists of photographic prints taken on and around the campus of Benedictine University at Springfield from shortly after its founding in 1929 through the early 2000s. The photos cover a wide range of subjects from events including athletics, picnics, commencement ceremonies, holiday celebrations, alumni reunions, and student theatre performances; locations on and around campus including Becker Library, Godley house, Mueller Hall, various classrooms, student housing, and nursing classes at nearby Memorial Hospital; the faculty, staff, and students of Benedictine University at Springfield.
Benedictine University at Springfield was founded in Springfield, Illinois 1929 by the Ursuline Sisters. It was originally called Springfield Junior College and is the oldest institution of higher learning in Springfield. It became Springfield College in Illinois (SCI) in 1968. In 2003 SCI partnered with Benedictine University, located in Lisle, Illinois, to bring Benedictine's programs to Springfield. This led to a merger in which Springfield College in Illinois became Benedictine University at Springfield. It became a four year institution in 2009. In 2014 the Benedictine University Board of Trustees made the decision to shift the focus of the Springfield campus from traditional undergraduates (ages 18-22) to adult education. Benedictine University at Springfield continues to offer undergraduate, masters, and Ph.D. programs to non-traditional students.
[item identification], Benedictine University Archives at Springfield photographs, ARCH-111, Benedictine University Archives, Lisle, Illinois. http://archives.ben.edu/repositories/2/resources/16 Accessed September 23, 2017.