St. Procopious Mothers and Friends Club Records
Collection — Box: Mothers and Friends 1
Collection consists of ledgers and photographic negatives. Ledgers contain minutes, financial information, and membership listings. In some cases news clippings and unidentified handwritten notes have been pasted in. Materials are written primarily in Czech.
- 1935-01-01 - 1964-01-01
Biographical / Historical
The St. Procopius Mothers and Friends Club was founded April 11, 1935; Ms. Marie Kral was its first president. The Club was comprised of women affiliated with St. Procopius College, and was the primary venue through which their voices were heard. At the time St. Procopius was not a coeducational institution, and would not become one until 1967. Meetings were held on the third Tuesday of each month at the "St. Procopius School Hall", 16th and Allport Street, at 2 o'clock. Geographically speaking, this was the most convenient meeting place as nearly all the Club's members lived in the Czech-speaking neighborhood of Pilsen wherein St. Procopius Abbey was located, or in nearby Berwyn or Cicero. Annual membership usually hovered between 20-40 people. The Club was well-known for its volunteerism, philanthropy, and frequent luncheons held at St. Procopius College.
.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The base collection of Archives and Special Collections had no inherent order. This series was created out of the base collection in 2007.
- Benn P. Joseph
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note